Today is Zimbabwe’s Independence Day. Yes, on 18th April 1980, Zimbabwe gained it’s independence from British rule…whatever that means. But anyway, to celebrate our 35th birthday, I figured it would only be fitting if I shared a few fun facts about my beautiful motherland. So here are 10 fun facts about Zimbabwe:
1. Multi-currency – Zimbabwe is the world’s largest Bureau de Change. You can buy a loaf of bread that’s priced at R10 (South African Rands), pay with Euros, and receive your change in US Dollars, Pula, AND Rands. Every Zimbabwean is basically a walking currency converter!
2. Potholes – Our potholes have roads on them.
3. Cholera – Cholera is basically an ingredient.
4. Police – Our police put the ‘demon’ in demonstration.
5. Air Zimbabwe – some seats have no seat belts, so you just tighten the belt you’re wearing on your pants.
6. Swimming – We’d no doubt have the best swimmers…if the Olympics took place in the Limpopo River…and the finish line was South Africa
7. Water rationing – Water rationing is so effective we even turn off the Victoria Falls.
8. Fuel – If a girl asks you to take her out on a date somewhere expensive…you take her to a petrol station.
9. Diamonds – Erm, no, that’s just ketchup on our diamonds.
10. Elections – The fairest and most free elections in all the land. Need I say more?
Bonus Fact: Zim Dollar: As a friend of mine puts it “I’m a huge fan of the rapper 50cent…or as he’s now known in Zimbabwe, 500 million dollars” 🙂
Jokes aside, Zimbabwe is a lovely country and the people are the best. So do visit. I promise you’ll love it. Happy Birthday Zimbabwe!
*just scribbling my independence thoughts*